Sunday in an Orchard

Tuesday August 10, 2010

Sunday Mike & I went to a local Orchard. They actually do a lot of business through Mike’s office so he knows more of the back-story behind this family owned farm. Sadly he told me the grandfather had recently passed and it explains why there were less “picking” fields planted this year. That’s really hard. I think it’s important to patron these family owned farms! Support them! The fruits are on par with grocery store prices but you KNOW it’s fresh! You just picked it! Not to mention it gets you out and gives you something to do that’s relaxing/quiet.

We went to the “Summer Flowers” field. Many of the flowers have bloomed & gone but there’s a huge field of late summer Sunflowers ready to bloom!! Maybe by next weekend it’ll be a field of yellow :)

These are fruit shaped bags full of muffin mixes! Apple for apple muffins, strawberry for strawberry. You get it. They even had a pumpkin one!

Speaking of yellow, I bought a fresh wedge of yellow watermelon! Like I said before, watermelon has been stellar this year! So sweet & juicy! I keep OVEREATING watermelon until I feel like I’m gonna pop! I just can’t stop! I think last week I ate an entire “personal size” watermelon in 1 sitting! I actually finished this wedge all on Sunday too~ by myself~ gah! Watermelon, if you eat a lot of it, feels SO heavy-hollow in the tummy! Kills my stomach I feel like I’m gonna blow~

I leave for Tokyo in 2 weeks. Some people were asking . We’ve got a house-sitter all lined up and ready to go for the 2 weeks we’ll be there. :good: I’m getting together a rough itinerary. We hit up a lot of the major sights on our last visit so I’m kinda glad we can go a little more low-key this time. Plus no overnight stays outside of the city. Though staying in the Mt. Fuji area was AMAZING, travel time does suck.

I’m thinking about what to bring. You can have 1 checked bag & 2 carry ons. Uuuugh. That’s 1 less checked bag than last time’s allowance. You can always pay for another checked bag but it’s like 50$~75$ … Dnw. Shipping shit to myself would be cheaper lol (though not by much, hah!)
OH SNAP
I just checked it again and since ordering my tickets they’ve changed it back to 2 checked bags!!
YESSSSSSSSS! This is good, very good! I’m not so worried about buying too many shoes now!!
Still gonna pack CRAZY LIGHT!

I’m getting off on a tangent. Anyway. So I’m packing super light! Nothing’s finalized yet but I’m thinking bringing 1 skirt, 2 shorts, and 4 tanks for the entire trip! Lol. And then just wearing whatever I buy there. Maybe 3 tanks would be better, bwahaahaaa! I’m gonna rape the WC store by the end of day 1. It’ll be a weekday afternoon too~ :)

I’ve been working on a new banner but it’s doubtful to be done before I leave. We’ll see~~ I need more hours in the day.

82 Responses to “Sunday in an Orchard”

Yay! I checked for comment reply and you updated!

Your skin looks really radiant in those pictures! Flower picking is so zen – makes you feel so good :D Oh man, apple muffins are so fall to me, *thinking about them now*

Our plan is exactly the same! Bring as little as physically possible, fitting everything for two weeks into a single carry-on each! (but that stuff is fun – compartmentalizing, LOL)

So excited for you!

LOL yay! unexpected right!? I blog in spurts LOL

Yea, last time we ended up buying 2 bags while there (good price too at 100 yen shops!) in order to get everything home XDD I already plan on buying a cute new carry on while there for the trip back, phuphuphu :P

2. Julie says:

I hope you have an amazing trip! I’m going to study abroad in Japan during the Spring so I’m very excited!

Very nice picture of the bee! I would be way too afraid to get too close o_O.

Awe that’s really col! I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time come spring!

Actually I cheated with the bee & used my “zoom” LOL I’m no where near it XD

3. Cassandra says:

SUNFLOWERS :O they’re my fave flowers~! but when they’re that tall they can seem a bit scary, don’t you think? those muffin mixes look adorable~ I bet if you put some cinnamon in the apple one they’d be super good :) uwaa, I can’t wait till I go to Japan after uni… such a wait though! When my mum & I went to England earlier this summer we were only allowed 1 piece of luggage and 1 carry one (+ your bag)

They’re quite overpowering all smooshed together in a big field like that! Yea luggage restrictions are so hard now :(

4. sidney says:

those little bags of muffin mix!! hahaha so cuuuute!!

i know what you mean about melons. during summer, they’re SO PERFECT to eat. especially when they’re juicy, cos then it’s like you’re drinking them and eating them at the same time. NOMNOM.

EXCITING JAPAN TRIP \o/ i seriously just want to go again for clothes shopping. last time i went i was on such a tight budget i didn’t buy any clothes. sadness…

I feel I missed out on clothes last time too! So this time I’m like OBSESSING over where to shop & what to buy that I should probably cool my jets, haahaa!

5. Becky says:

The orchard looks like it’s lots of fun! Wow~~ I bet when the sunflowers are in full bloom the field will look so bright & yellow :D
    What cute muffin bags!!! I’ve never had strawberry muffins, I wonder how those taste :9

Can’t wait until you go on your Japan trip then come back & blog about it. Haha~~ I wanna see all the great stuff you get & great places you see :D

6. f says:

Oh wow, your outfit is too cute!

7. sparklesyuki says:

the pictures turns out to be awesommeeeeeee!!!
    i would want the bag more than the muffin mix though! HAHAHA! [^^;]
    (can make it to a cushion or something…)
    I miss Japan! Have an awesome shopping spree there!
    and please ‘RAPE’ the w♥c stores…. XDDDDD
    u are going mainly to tokyo? or there’s other places u are going to visit?

Awe thanks!! Yea this time we’ll be staying in Tokyo the entire time! Last trip I wanted to venture out from Tokyo to Mt. Fuji and we lost a lot of time traveling =Y

8. Zoraida says:

Those plants are huge! Your outfit is cute! Bang-less you is gawjuss!

Those muffin mix bags are soOoOOOoooo adorable.

I’ve never had yellow watermelon before. Just the normal red kind but mmmmm any watermelon sounds fantastic right now!

Yay Tokyo~~~

Aren’t they ginormous!! I appreciate your comment :F, I’m so iffy about my hair off & on this summer hahahaaa! Some days I love it; some days I want to chop it off into a bob! LOL Yellow watermelon has a very subtlety different taste, but not drastic.

9. Leslie says:

Your coordinate is so cute! And now I’m really craving watermelon and muffins thanks to this post…

So excited for your travel plans! It’s always a pain with the baggage regulations though, but it’s good that you can check in two bags! I always struggle with one check in and carry on on trips because I end up buying so many cosmetics and clothes and end up having bursting luggage…

Right, right! I’ve gotten good at shrinking down for domestic flights but international I just NEED so much more STUFF! Plus I buy WAY more on those trips XO

10. Paula says:

where did u buy the tops?sooo cute!

11. カル says:

that looks so cool :D I’ve gone blueberry picking before, but not in such a large field (those bags are adorable!!). Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!!

12. Thao says:

Aww I miss eating yellow watermelons! And picking fruits is such a workout, so by the end of the day, everything tastes ten times better. Although I wanted to die from eating too much cherries when I was cherry picking in NY.

Haha, I think you should only have 1 outfit in your suitcase. 1 shirt and 1 short! That’s all you need! XD

Totally agree! You get to both workout and eat well!

Don’t tempt me on the 1 outfit thing omfg! I keep thinking “I don’t NEED 3 tops, hum hum.” But my fear is what I want won’t fit or will be too autumn-season of clothing, I dunno, I dunno. I’d hate to end up in the same outfit every day. *thinks of photos* “Oh this was the same day? Same outfit.” “No…” haahaahahahaa!!

13. Jelena says:

OMG! you go to Japan! What’s luck! Don’t you think I can get a piece of my ass in your suitcase?! :P Good preparation bag anyway. I hope you will make lots of pictures and you will bring back lots of nice things there! n______n
    Kisses

14. Mana says:

Can’t wait to see your Tokyo takeover! XD When I came back I could barely hold my carry-on it was so heavy, people had to keep helping me get it into the overhead compartments. A lady at the Denver airport told me it was too big though, and I gave her a death glare. Luckily, the guy next to her just waved me through. :)

That lady needs to MIND HER OWN BUSINESS! Hahaahaaa! That’s how i’ll be! Thankfully I’ve got the guy there or else I’ll be having to put on my solo show of “frail girl needs help from strong man” that seems to work well, hah!

15. Kimi says:

Oh, there’s a family farm near us! All the fruit will be picked now, though, and my brother went without me already so I guess I won’t be going this year. I know what you mean about the fruit! Tastes ten times better than store bought~ Anyway, enjoy your stay in Tokyo! ♥

Awe, well there’s always next season! Ours does pumpkins for Halloween so I know I can get in at least 1 more trip there this year!

16. cin says:

You looks so pretty!! I wish I can have skin like yours~ Oh and I love your tunic :D

Have fun in Tokyo! I wish I could be there and hang out with you but I guess there’s always a next time~ (hopefully when I live in Japan) :)

17. Aigerim says:

Beautiful pictures!
    Wanna to taste this yellow watermelon.
    Have a nice trip!
    Andwaiting pics from Tokyo…

18. Yukimi says:

Jenny, I really enjoy reading your blog. =]
    Even if I know that no one can be happy all the time and you’re also not (which makes you a human), when I read your blog… it’s full of positive facets of live and why people should love to live. In my opinion.
    Keep it up! (^-^)
    Have a wonderful time in Japan!
    Greetings from Germany,
    Yukimi

You’re extremely too kind to say such meaningful things. This really touched my heart because this is what I seek out in others’ blogs as well. So to hear you say this about my blog is surprising & humbling. I think I need this reminder in my life too~ Reminder that not everything/everyone is 100% happy all the time. That things get hard. Feelings get low. But that there are these good days too full of simple adventures that we can lose ourselves in!

I’m honored, thank you.

Vielen Dank!!!

19. Miamy says:

those pictures are so lovely! :D I wanna go to sunflower field tooooooooooo!!!
    Ohh i like the idea of packing light, and wearing whatevr u buy in Japan. super amazing that ur gonna come home with a bigger luggage than the one u went with!

So many gorgeous photos you took! ♥ You look adorable traipsing through that field, haha ;D
    I’ve never tried yellow watermelon before! Does it have the same taste? I know what you mean about overeating it too though, haha~ I could probably eat an entire ‘non-personal size’ watermelon all by myself XD
    I can’t believe your Japan trip is almost here~!! You’re definitely doing the smart thing by not packing your entire life since you know you’ll be buy buy buying, haha! ♥
    Hope you have a great week bb~

Haha thanks! I was in process of tripping in the 1 pic (it’s more inclined that it looks XD)
      Yellow watermelon tastes very similar BUT a tiny bit different too!

Thanks sweetie, same to you! happy weekend!!

21. Winn says:

It sounds like you had a great time :D

And I would love to do something like this too but the thought of bugs scares the hell out of me :'( aren’t there big hairy caterpillars and all sorts of flying stuff everywhere? ; _ ;
    AAAH I HATE BUGS Dx

sorry for the randomness but it’s 2am here :’D

22. Fatiha says:

wah~♪ i bet you had a lot of fun at the orchard on sunday! lucky you~ watermelons are i can’t believe your leaving in two weeks-time goes by really fast! anyway, like i said last time, i hope you have a wonderful time on your trip to Tokyo!!!

23. Nonno says:

Aww, sunflowers are so beautiful! We have about 100 in our garden, I just can’t get enough of them.
    And I think it’s right to support the local and family owned farms. If they weren’t there they might have built some more ugly houses.

Your tunic/top is so cute! Where did you buy it?
    I love this style ^__^

Wow! You must have such a beautiful & big garden! so lucky! I can’t wait till i own a house with a yard so I can garden IN GROUND again!

The top’s from yesstyle.com :)

24. Kim-Mari says:

Gorgeous photos Jenny!

I love your floral top – lovely, summery co-ordinate!

25. Kakazinha says:

I love your pics so much!

Pink Kisses♥

26. Tina says:

Have a good trip!
    I LOOVEE going on vacation and bringing back tons of stuff: clothing, shoes, accessories, you name it. Fun fun fun. :D

Himawari~ I love sunflowers! ♥

I’ve never had yellow wintermelons before but they certaintly DO look yummy! I would like to try some one day.

I hope you’ll have lots of fun in Tokyo and and shop and buy lots too!

28. Betty says:

hahahaha your description of eating watermelon cracked me up. I still have 1/4 of one in my fridge=.= You’re so lucky to be visiting Japan! I’m excited to see pics of your trip (even though you’re not leaving for 2 more weeks).

p.s.

Haahaa, you know what I mean then about that full, hollow feeling! XD Thanks so much! Yea, I have a feeling 2 weeks will be here REAL soon!

• Stacy says:

think my comment died??? and I didn’t even use the-character-i-was-warned-not-to-use.

My host family just bought me a yukata and I reallllly wish I could trade it for the WC because it was basically the same price.

I’m leaving Japan on Tuesday so I will be looking at your posts on Japan and seething with envy. :P

Have you been to Odaiba? or the Tokyo Edo Museum? Those are two places I wish I had gotten to go, but didn’t. :( There’s also the Kabuki place in Shinjuku, which is right near a game center, which I thought was really random (and also a really nice, but expensive love hotel and some host clubs, not that I know anything about those things XD)

Have funn!!!

Yay I plan on seeing Odaiba this time! Looks like a fun place to do some touristy snaps and buy touristy goods XDv!! Love Shinjuku. Like last time, 1 of the 2 hotels I’ll be staying at is located in the skyscraper district of Shinjuku :D

I certainly have!! I really want to buy one but rationally I know I have NO use for it. ;_;

29. Thanh Thao says:

Wow, Jenny you are again so pretty on yur fotos! It must be so wonderful to be a natural beauty :-)

To bad that I won’t be in Japan in September, but if you come again next year we surely can meet, since my Working holiday should last one year! I honestly wanna meet you so badly :-)

Thanks for always leaving me nice comments, you’re too nice :-)

Oh, you’ll be missing out on the end of summer in Japan then? I would love to hope to go back within a year~ time will tell!

30. nikki says:

these are so beautiful pictures of you in the sunflower field!!

Oh!! Sounds like a lovely trip! So many times I get stuck in these ruts “what can I do that is interesting and not $$” and the truth is if you’re willing to think creatively, there are a lot of options! Your trip seemed so fun~ (know I’ve said this before, but your eyes are such a pretty green!!) And agreed, we need support mom & pop anything! :)

Oh, super light! It’s a really good idea, though, since you KNOW you’ll be buying clothes as soon as you get there! :)

I feel the same way. I get in ruts where I’m just buying clothes as something to do! Or makeup! bah! Things like this are much better I think.

32. chocoNIKKI says:

Japan trip!!! I’m so super envious of youuuuu!!! I wish I had money/wasn’t a student and could afford a trip to Japan toooooo~~~! I can’t wait till you post allllll the pics of your loot and hopefully some pics of your trip though! hehe~~~ And orchards eh? I haven’t gone since grade 6….! =O Looks fun, but I’m so afraid of bugs!

Ah I feel ya! I had wanted to go to Japan for so very very long including during my student days of being so broke ass poor. :( *hang in there! it’s worth it & you’ll be able to get there some day too!!!

33. chiihime says:

So sweet place~ and you look really lovely!
    It’s good eating fruits… At my city fruits are really cheap and high variety but I don’t like to eat them, i don’t like the honeyed my hands get and the smell that never leaves it xD I know this isnt right, i have to eat fruits too, thanks for sharing~
    please post while in tokyo~~ i wanna go there tooooooo >

The stickiness definitely can be a turn off, so messy XD

Aw, I’ve toyed with the idea of blogging while in Tokyo, because I’ll have my netbook & my hotels have wifi. But I don’t think I’d have time or maybe it would feel like a chore, making time for it? I think, if I can’t sleep at night I will! Very easily! But I can’t really predict if I would or not.

34. Tina says:

So many pretty pictures! The farm looks so lovely, too bad the sunflowers weren’t blooming. You’ve got the same sweet smile as Blake Lively!

Yellow watermelon, does it taste like normal watermelon? I can only eat honeydew because as you say, melons give a heavy blow to one’s tummy, but honeydew I can just keep eating and eating I wouldn’t know I’m full ;_;

Have fun in Japan! Don’t bring too much with you, you need to have room for the things you’re going to shop there!

Awe really? I don’t think so, she’s much too pretty haahaa!! Oh honeydew is so fantastic! It is a lighter tasting melon I think too! Yellow watermelon has a slightly lighter taste than red I think.

35. Nana says:

wow i love all these photos! what did you take them with?

Thanks so much! It’s just a panasonic (I think) digital point & shoot camera. Nothing fancy. I want a dslr but I’m not willing to pay so much X( LOL

36. Linda says:

wowwwww! so many sunflowers! they are so pretty! :D
    and i know exactly how you feel about watermelon LOL its hard to stop eating once you started~ BUT ITS SO GOOD you cant stop!

37. emma says:

wow, this whole post made me feel unhealthy

38. Ys says:

I don’t think I’ve ever even tried watermelon – how bad is that???

That orchard looked so pretty. And those sunflowers make me sad about my two that died :( I used to have a huge sunflower outside the old house but it died eventually. When I planted two here they were both eaten :/

39. Bianca says:

YELLOW WATERMELON????

didnt know about that!

And somebody is friggin adorable, but im not telling who (ok its you)!

plus strawberry bags with mixes, how genius!! :D