My Usual Daily Hairstyle

Saturday, Dec. 17, 2011 | 89 Comments

Requested!

Recently a lovely reader asked if I could share my styling routine. I always shy away from creating tutorials. I’m in no way any kind of professional so who am I to say how to do something? But I always say “no” and so this time I decided “yes!” So here’s a sort of tutorial on how I usually curl my hair lately. It’s a really quick and easy routine so I can head out the door to work on time. It’s a simple style but maybe it’ll help beginners or people with similar hair types or cuts? :)

First, blow dry of course. I use all Conair styling tools because I trust the brand when it comes to constant daily use spanning years.

I’m using Living Proof’s Full Thickening Cream. It’s a bit pricey but a little goes a long way in thin hair. I just add a dab throughout my hair.

Before - wet hair

I’m still using Burt’s Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo and
Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Conditioner

But today I also used Lux’s Rich Shine treatment. I love the volume and shine I get from it but it creates a ton of flyaways too

OK, hair’s dry, time for styling…

Conair “Satin Finish 3/4″ Ultra-Slim Ceramic Straightener” and “Instant Heat 1-1/2″ Barrel Curling Iron”

Victoria’s Secret Flexible Hold Hairspray in Amber Romance scent, Liese Curling Water, comb and two hair clips

Everything above is what I use for styling. I use a large barrel curling iron. When I had shorter hair I used a smaller 1″ barrel to do a similar style.

I take the top layer and pin it up on each side using the two clips so I can curl the bottom first.
I then spray the bottom layer lightly with the Liese curl water (or something similar.) You don’t have to use it, I just feel it holds the curl longer in my hair which loses style easily.

Next I take sections of the bottom layer of hair and gather it with the 1 1/2″ curling iron, curling inward, towards my face. Straighten out the barrel so that it’s parallel with the floor. You’ll want to curl under just the tips only one time around or else you’ll get a full “ringlet.” I go for a soft under curl. So as shown below, I do not curl under any further up!

So I repeat this in 3~4 sections on each side. Afterward it looks like this …

Next, unpinning the top layer, I spray my hair with the curl water, and repeat. Just like the bottom layer. Curling under, towards my face, level with the floor until all the top sections are done.

Finally the bangs. I clip half of my bangs back, just like my hair. It gives the appearance of thicker bangs when I style them in this manner.

I take my slim straightener and just pull my bangs down curling them under very, very slightly as I straighten them creating just a subtle curve or puff. I then unpin the rest and repeat the process.

Final steps I run my fingers throughout my entire hair fluffing the curl adding some volume and separating the curls a bit. Once it’s all nice and poofy I spray on some hair spray and then that’s it!

I often add in an oversized hair barrette or pin up each side with small barrettes. :P

That’s it!

Jenny posted on Saturday, Dec. 17, 2011
Tags:

89 Responses to “My Usual Daily Hairstyle”

1. karen says:

oh yaaaaaah! you are beautiful and i’m jealous of your healthy hurrr for real.
    IT IS SO SHINY

• Tasja says:

Haha agree 100% with this comment xD
      Exactly what I wanted to say!

My hair is sooo not shiny ~.~ what is your secret?

Not really any secret, I just use Burt’s Bees Volume type shampoo/conditioner. About once a week I use Tsubaki or Lux hair treatment. The pre-curl spray helps protect my hair so maybe that helps too? Or the hair, nails & skin vitamins? Or the collagen? I don’t know which is to really thank xD

Honestly I don’t know how it’s still this shiny after the coloring a few months ago etc but I’ll take what I can get!

2. Michelle says:

Awww! You’re super cute! ^___^ I love this! Too bad my hair never stays put when I try to style it. :(

3. Souno says:

Nice timing. I wanted to try curling my hair like that. And I was just about to look for a good tutorial for it.

4. Kun says:

Thank you! I’m about to get my hair bobbed and this will be super helpful. You hair is always really cute.

Enjoy your bob! Mine’s grown out but the technique is the same :) When I had a short bob I used the flat iron instead of the curling iron (just fyi.)

5. samalane says:

Although my hair is quite a bit longer than yours, I liked the tutorial! I also have really fine/thin hair so I find it hard to do much of anything with it – usually I just let it sort of wavyish :/

You’ve inspired me to keep playing around and see what I like though, so maybe after my next hair cut I’ll try and learn how to use my curling iron!?

My hair is the same, fine/thin only it’s stick straight.

It definitely takes practice. I remember I didn’t even know which way to curl my hair with a curling iron years & years ago! I thought I’d never learn but thankfully it all makes complete sense after you really set out to use it properly :D

6. Aw so glad you did a tutorial like this! I wish I had shorter hair so I could try it :( looking lovely as usual!

7. M says:

oh man! i wanna try it
    but i dont have enough hair right now
    !! i will when its longer and less unnaturally curly
    but im so lazy….

8. Mary says:

Cute!! I always love your hairstyle and I wonder how you get such nice curls! You should do more tutorials

9. Samantha says:

I don’t even have straight hair and this was very cute! Maybe when I do straighten it I’ll try it. People ask you for tutorials because you always look so nice (we just want to look like yooooou~~) At least that’s what I think! Thanks for posting this! :)

10. Huynh says:

Cute tutorial :] I wanna try out that Victoria Secret hair spray. One time I used a normal hairspray, my boyfriend thought I was wearing some nasty grandma perfume because he sniffed my hair xD

Hmmm I’d try it out with him in the store next to you then! I’m actually sorta “over” this scent but my guy reaaaaally loves it thankfully LOL I loved my “Love Spell” version better.

11. lissy says:

omg i loved the tutorial!! very detailed with pictures and instructions that were easy to follow.
    going to try this out in the next few days, since i have the same hair length as you, and it’ll be something that’ll volumise my really thin hair :)

I’m SO glad to hear that. I wasn’t sure if it would make coherent sense in the end!

Yeah my hair is thin & straight so this definitely adds bounce & volume.

12. Fuuka says:

Mine is pretty similar as well. But I use a flat iron to curl instead. But I use the same motion that you do. My hair is SUPER dry and damages easily, so I use Remington’s Damage Car flat iron. It has TOTALLY helped. But it smells like a frying pan because it is mad with Teflon. So I make sure to put a few drops of Rose oil mix with jojoba oil(it’s aromatherapy oil) in my hair afterwards.

13. Ellie says:

you’re so beautiful… :)

14. Sachie says:

Very cute and simple style! I’d love to try this out if I get shorter hair, right now my hair is really long haha (like elbow length)

do more tutorials in the future please! :)

Elbow length!!! Awe definitely I would use my big curler and make beautiful loose ringlets for mermaid hair!!

More tutorials? Anything specific? :)

15. z says:

awesome! i’m saving this for when i get short hair, again :D

thanks for taking the time to do this!

This was so cute, Jenny! ♥ I think you are definitely ‘worthy’ of doing a hair tutorial because yours always looks so damn pretty.
    I use a Conair blow dryer too because they’re the best dryers out there (especially in the low/mid-market range) imho. I just might have to try that thickening cream though!

17. Lee says:

I’ve read your blog for a while but this is my first time commenting. My hair is basically the same style but around nape length. Thanks for this little tutorial as i can use this as a cute default style when I’m in a bit of a rush, so elegant and quick at the same time.

18. Vermillion says:

Awesome tutorial :D I always like the way you style your hair. Thanks for posting.

19. _lyne says:

my hair is slightly longer but I’m still going to try this out just to see how it looks on me! =p

20. Novia says:

nice tutorial jenny ^^ isnt it about time for make up tutorial as well? i’m really looking forward to that

21. cin says:

Cute Jenny~~~~

22. Christine says:

gorgeous! I’m waiting for ur next tutorial :)

23. Lapinou says:

Super tutorial, adorable and cute haircut ♥

24. Lapinou says:

And, sorry it’s not a question for this article but have you buy 2 last Rinka’s books ? I wanted an opinion before buy them, thanks. ^^

No, I haven’t. I was waiting to buy them in person either in New York or Tokyo, this year, whichever comes first. I didn’t buy Sleep Star either. I feel regretful for some photobooks (non-Rinka) in the past and worry about space. But I think I regret not getting Sleep Star just for the DVD so I might finally buy it too. I had plenty of opportunities to buy it in person but always talked myself out of it.

25. mango says:

oh oh oh oh this is really useful! this style looks great with your hair length since it gives a lot of volume! Do you think the Liese curling water makes a difference? I mean, does it help to hold the curl or.???

For me the curling sprays are a MUST or else my curls will fall out quickly even with hairspray or mousse put in. Also the spray protects your hair from the heating tool too. I’ve used Liese, Fuwarie, and Lucido-l brands. All are good :)

Thanks for this!

Oh my goodness, I love LUX products so much

27. Moni says:

This was a great tutorial! This is pretty much how I do my hair too… either like this, or I kind of “bump” it halfway down my hair length to make it look like an angular bob. Anyway, I hope you do more tutorials eventually — this was fun.

28. Ashley says:

Oh yay!!! You did it!!!!! you have no idea of how much stress I have been under the past two days with tragedy going on around me so the fact that you did this after i emailed you really brightened my day :) Thank You!

Oh good, I’m glad you saw it! I wasn’t sure if I should email you or not. I didn’t want to be a bother. I hope this helped. I’m so sorry things for you have been so hard lately :(.

• Ashley says:

Yeah there was a huge fire at the complex I work at so many many people lost their home. I have been working 11 hour shifts to help but its still hard because I know so many of them personally!

Again thank you and Happy Holidays!!

Ugh that’s so, so awful! I really hope people reach out to those who lost so much this Christmas. And I hope you’re able to enjoy the holidays some as well.

29. Thuy An says:

You’re so lovely!

I wish I could use that little straight comb instead of a round brush. Looks so much easier. Stupid thick hair of mine!

I use both! The comb is for my bangs, my large round brush got cut off in the photo but I didn’t think it was important enough to list so I only use it to detangle and not actually style.

30. Miyanko says:

Oh I have been waiting for this post!! Thanks Jenny! You have beautiful hair!

31. MissFeelo says:

Wow, your hair looks super healthy!

Ah looks can be deceiving! Haha! Well it is shiny and not dry which I’m super happy for but it breaks a bit easily. I tried one of those shampoo & conditioner lines to help with breaking and it made it WORSE hahahah x(

32. Dana says:

I think you did a great job with your tutorial! The photos were really good. I actually love picture tutorials way more than video tutorials so this was nice. :) I hope you do more tutorials!

Thanks Dana! Got any certain tutorials in mind?

• Dana says:

Although they are fairly common, I love seeing people do their like daily make-up routines. They’re usually simple, but it’s interesting to see how people do things differently. So I would love to see one of those.

Hmmm, I’ll think about this one. My daily makeup changes depending on how I feel (I know it sounds like a cop-out but it’s true!) But lately I’ve been doing a xmas cat eye + gold glitter look for work this past week and maybe I’ll try to get to that! I do my makeup at work but I’ll see if my iPhone is up to the challenge of quick tutorial snaps LOL

33. Jenny says:

Hi, I love how your style your hair so beautifully~ it’s lovely. Instead of a hair tutorial, do you think you can do a simple, fresh makeup tutorial? I love how your hair, makeup, and clothes always match so well!

I’ll think about this! It’s easier when I get clear ideas like this one and a simple, fresh makeup look might be something I feel I could do since it’s what I wear a lot of lately!

34. Nana Cawaii says:

I liked it!
    Ur hair is very beautiful! Kawaii!!!

35. Hana says:

Your hair wet looks just like mine dry, all baby hair! You work your hair so great especially the bangs ~ how long do they stay full and smooth like this? I recently cut my bangs so I will try your steps to styling them. My bangs get very stringy, but I have not used a flat iron – I will try it like you do *crosses fingers*

I HAVE A CURE FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the problem all. the. time. No joke. I’ve been using “Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo” for a few years now! I love it! I keep some in my purse and at my office! You just rub a little onto your hands and work it in! I especially love this stuff in the summer. I find going through with a comb a few times after apply helps make sure you’ve rubbed it in completely.

I prefer the powder over the spray, just my own preference.

Using a straight iron and separating my bangs into two layers when straightening I found helps keep them fluffy and thick looking longer too than when I skip it.

• Hana says:

I just got this at ulta and some other volumizing products to try. I had been wondering about ‘dry shampoo’ for a long time, not at all what I thought it’d be like. It really helped re-touch my bangs like you said. I started using the flat iron, it makes a huge difference lol, my bangs look very cute like yours! Thanks Jenny!!

I had no idea your routine was so simple…it’s very pretty! Is your hair naturally totally straight? Mine has a little curl but I’m not sure how to work with it when styling ^^