Playing with Paper

Nov 07, 2012

I’ve been playing with the app “Paper by Fifty Three” on the iPad for about 2 days now and I’m really enjoying it. A reason I wanted an iPad was so I could cut down on wasting paper for my notes, doodles, brainstorming sessions. I’m going to get a stylus eventually which will make actually writing in the app easier and more fluid.

So far I’ve mostly been using it for thinking through what to pack for a short Thanksgiving trip (carry on only.)

Haha, ok I’m really not an artist in any way, shape, or form, but I am a persistent doodle’r and list maker. Since January I think I’ve gone through at least 7 journals. Journals I usually toss when I’m done and I feel so guilty & wasteful.

I made this today.
I often get asked to blog more outfit posts but thought maybe this would be an easier solution for me, haha! Well only if you can tell what these shapes are, ha!

And on the subject of travel, I stocked up on my favorite ginger treats from The Ginger People this weekend! Ginger really helps calm my often nervous stomach or an upset stomach from indigestion. The hard caramel candies are great for travel too. I often bring them on the metro with me or early morning car rides in case I experience motion sickness.

The spicy apple chews are my favorite snack though. But I saw there’s a coffee flavor too!? I’ve never seen it before and hope I come across it eventually. These can be hard to find. Usually I pick them up at organic markets and specialty stores. The original chews seem to be the easiest to find in my area.

24 Responses to “Playing with Paper”

1. Miia says:

actually I find your drawing/sketching quite beautiful!

2. Cindii says:

That’s a pretty cool app!

3. eaaaux says:

Haha, you may say you’re not an artist, but your drawings are hella cute though!

4. Leanne says:

i understand what you mean.. i’m a constant list maker too!

i just got an ipad and am planning to buy a stylus soon

5. Kmmyp says:

It’s not bad. I think the drawing is quite nice although I prefer of course real pictures bec I like to see your outfits! And when you wear them. So cute :)

6. Charlene says:

I always find the ginger chews at places like ross or marshalls! Hmm…maybe i should get a stylus pen toooo…

7. Sewon says:

Aw, your drawings are wonderful! I especially love the shaded tights. I think I’m getting the ipad and stylus for Christmas. Can’t wait! :) P.S. Thanks for sharing the short trip packing list. I’m taking one tomorrow (if weather permits) and I haven’t even started packing yet! xx

8. Maye says:

Still the drawings look lovely! (I can’t draw at all)
    If you have a DS, won’t the stylus would serve the purpose for the ipad?
    (And congrats on the win!)

9. Sara says:

Now i want an iPad, sounds very interesting ♥

I loved your drawings, there are such cute, I love the red cardi

Oh i dont like much ginger >

10. Sara says:

Oh i dont like much ginger >

11. Sara says:

cut my message :(

12. Michelle says:

Oh my goodness, there is such an app?! This is what happens when you decide to go Android for a tablet. You miss out on the more artsy stuff like Paper. I can’t believe I didn’t know about this app sooner! I love your doodles!

13. Jenny says:

Your pictures are really nice! It looks like a great app – I have a bamboo tablet but I find it really hard to draw with it. I think that has more to do with my lack of artistic skill though haha :)

14. Denny says:

You doodle so nice! I’m failing at such attempts but I really liked the idea of having everything in one place on an app. I do tend to just write things down because I’m addicted to doing it but sometimes it just feels, like you said, that I’m wasting my notebooks. That’s why I kind of want a pad, I like their simplicity and how you free so much space in your handbag (oh well I still ordered an organizer but it costs much less than any pad so for now I’m settling for whatever I can!) :D

15. samalane says:

I wonder if I could find those snacks or an equivalent somewhere here in Canada …I often take a bus to visit my parents but I get motion sickness so easily – for whatever reason I don’t on the train, but it isn’t always running…

Your doodles are adorable and far surpass mine, by the way!

16. Sami says:

Your doodles are so cute!

Aww your doodles are so cute! This apps looks fun!

18. Miya says:

I’m with you on the journal thing…I LOOOOOVE making lists and using notebooks to keep all my ideas in. I usually buy really small 99cent ones from walmart and write everything down in them. I can’t bring myself to throw them away either…it’s like a documentry of my year haha^^;;

That being said…I want to play with that program too! Thanks for showing us…I love your doodles! I wish I could plan things out as beautifully as you. As I said before, ORGANIZE MY LIFE PLZ! LoL

19. ニッキー says:

I love the Ginger People chews, but I just buy plain version. I learned about them when I was working at Google. :)

20. Erin says:

What are you talking about, I love your drawing style. Very fashionable (if you can use that word about doodles?!) xo

21. Jane says:

I’ve been looking at Paper53 art on Tumblr for a few weeks now. I’m getting my first iPad (not the mini) this December, and as a graphic designer, apps like Paper53, Adobe Ideas, and Sketchbook Pro really excite me.

I’ve heard that Wacom’s Bamboo stylus is one of the best out there, and the Adonit Jot Pro for precision writing/drawing; if that helps!

22. Ru Chan says:

oh wow this app is really cool! I’ve never thought I’d have any need for an iPad, but recently I’ve been toying with the idea out of nowhere. At least i know there’s this app which will be useful for doodling!

23. Bianca says:

ack! i love this post! I’m so happy to see your sketches! they look great! I love fast and to the point sketches they are so french/japanese like a FUDGE magazine! Keep it up! This is a great idea btw, when I get a tablet this will definitely be a new hobby of mine ;)