Puerto Rico Packing

Feb 27, 2013

A short “what I packed” post for my recent trip to Puerto Rico.

I feel good. Another trip where I successfully avoided buying anything new to pack. Though I wanted to something fierce. Like a new bikini and new sneakers. Neither of which I wear on a steady basis so post-trip they wouldn’t get used much.

I did single carry-on only and wanted my suitcase to be as light as possible. I did end up bringing my new Everlane tote bag for use as my “personal item” bag. I also used it for the pre/post-hotel check-in/out.

clothing for puerto rico
everything I packed

baggu

I also brought fleece tights for layering while in DC. I really didn’t want to bother packing a coat just to have the few moments between the parking garage & airport concourse so I layered the tights, dress, boyshirt, scarf, etc.

The sneakers & raincoat were mostly for the day trip to the El Yunque rain forest. Also I find switching between different sets of shoes helps prevent blisters during any heavy-walking trip.

The temperatures were between low 70’s to upper 80’s so I wanted a lot of layering pieces that were made from breathable fabrics (aka no silk, god I have a closet full of silk!)

These picks turned out great. I was always comfortable, prepared, etc. I was glad I didn’t pack any flow’y skirts because the breeze would have been too much for those, and I’m extremely happy I packed the denim boyshirt as it layered great when in an air conditioned cafe.

I was in a heavy monochromatic wardrobe rotation before leaving for the trip but coming back I’m ready to add some color for spring. I need to sit down and think about which stark winter items to pack away though it’ll continue to be winter cold for a little while longer.

22 Responses to “Puerto Rico Packing”

1. Laura says:

I’m impressed at how you can pack so light! :)

2. mommo says:

Very impress! I’d never able to make it this light. lovely bikini btw :)

3. Jen says:

I love this minimalist style of packing. Somehow every time I go on a trip I tend to pack pieces I never usually wear on a day to day basis. As if somehow a new place calls for it.

I love the color and fabric of those chinos! What brand are they?

I used to do that too. Pack a dress I never wear at home thinking it’ll be perfect on the trip then realizing MISTAKE.

The chinos are from Madewell last summer (but probably they’ll bring them out again :) )

4. Maho says:

It’s so funny but you seem to have a fondness for stripes, haha. But I love them, too!
    xx

5. Amelia says:

It’s an inspiration really seeing you pack so lightly. It’s like the epitome of minimalism.

One day it will be the same for me. One day!

6. Winn says:

lol Jen I’m staring at the stuff you took and I think I was planning to take more than you for a trip that’s shorter… how long did you go for? /o\

7. Ria says:

I totally envy your packing skills right now.

I can’t say how much I love love these posts of yours… They are so inspirational with getting my wardrobe organised & scaled down! It’s also proof that you don’t need to have tons of extranneous items to create multiple looks.

I’m excited to see what your ‘focus colour’ for this spring will be… I remember for fall it was red, no? :)

Aw I’m glad, thank you!

Hmmm I wonder what it will be too since I pull out the colors after taking a good look at what I’m wearing as of late. I have a feeling it may be pink but I dunno yet. I feel really scattered after getting back because I’m so not into my monochromatic that’s up in my closet right now lol

9. Kristin says:

I’m so ready for warmer DC weather haha. Love this post! I need to learn to pack lightly.

10. cardiac says:

You have such a great style!

11. Lillith says:

I was looking at the pictures and just wondering “Where’s the rest of her stuff!” it took me a moment to realize that that was all you were packing. I commend you! I’m always paranoid when I’m packing that I’ll need one thing or want another while I’m gone so I tend to just shove everything in sight into my bag xD

Haha well this is just my clothes I do bring other things like toothbrush, makeup, etc. but packing my outfits this light leaves me lots of room for the other stuff. I got really tired of over packing; bringing things I never wore. So in recent years I’ve been working on streamlining the process.

12. Tracy says:

Jenny, where is that striped dress from? It looks familiar…

13. Kate says:

Ugh I so need lessons on packing like this!!

14. Miia says: