Can No Longer Claim I Don’t Cook

Apr 17, 2014

I cook. That’s who I am now. That is my new life.
Well.. maybe that’s being a bit overdramatic.

Mike was the major chef in the house until his back pain became too much. This past year I slowly ventured into learning how to cook a little more. I had made a handful of pot roasts as well as my usual staples of spaghetti and the occasional curry.

There’s something about being freed from the ideal that, as a woman, you must know how to cook. Growing up my father would say, “No one is going to marry you if you can’t cook.” I’d just scoff and say I’d make sure the other person could cook so that I wouldn’t starve. Mike enjoys cooking. There was no pressure for me to ever learn. So my interest in cooking felt more organic and not some societal norm I was forcing upon myself. And then I felt compelled to add a few new recipes under my belt while Mike recovers from spinal surgery.

At first I struggled. I burned things and I got confused and I hated it because I felt I couldn’t cook what I wanted. But then I realized something. I realized what I enjoy cooking! One pot meals! Oh yes… I thrive in this recipe category!!

I’ve always been good at pasta (and I could eat it every day) however not everyone agrees with my motto. So I stumbled into stir-fry, then casseroles, and even chicken and beef based “pies.” And every one of these has turned out great! Mostly I take vegetarian recipes then add a little chicken or steak into it for Mike’s sake. It’s still easier for me to add a little sliced steak into stir-fry than to cook up a separate steak with sides. I don’t know why but I just straight up burn it and fail at cooking items on their own.

A few of the things I’ve made include Alfredo Mostaccioli, Ginger Veggie Stir-fry, Baked Ziti, Beef Taco Pie, and my usual Curry.

Also my favorite thing so far has been this Chicken Pot Pie recipe. It’s easy (though there’s about 3 major steps) and tastes fantastic!

I’m still looking for recipes at Easy One Pot Meals on FOOD. I find throwing in easy meals some nights gives me a break from the stress of cooking something challenging every single day. Tonight will be spaghetti ;)

Tags:

16 Responses to “Can No Longer Claim I Don’t Cook”

1. Mai says:

I’ve been slowly venturing into cooking these past few months, but I’ve only been able to make eggs-in-toast and a chicken and kale salad. Your blog entry has inspired me to try new things since you were once in the same n00bish boat as me but it looks like you’re now thriving in cooking. Hopefully I’ll be able to succeed as cooking as well as you too and also cook more variety. Thanks for sharing these easy recipes ^^

That would describe me exactly. I think I was struggling to cook like others instead of figuring out what I LIKED to cook instead for a long time. I mean I was so anti-cooking for SO. LONG. But now I enjoy the recipes I choose because I wait until one actually sounds “like me.”

2. zombizombi says:

Ahhhh yes, the one pot meal is my favourite, too. I especially enjoy the slow cooker, because it makes things easy in a busy household.

3. Rachel says:

If you want to be extra lazy but yet make delicious meals, invest in a slow cooker. :) Definitely a life saver on days when I don’t feel like cooking! Plus the recipes here: http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Crock%20Pot%20Recipes are pretty good and easy too!

I’ve actually thought about this a couple of times! My biggest concern though is not feeling comfortable leaving something on all day while I’m at work which would really narrow it down to only getting used on the weekends.

• Rachel says:

I usually put mine in the night before that way the food is ready the next morning. And when I leave for work during the day I just leave it on “warm”….no apt fires yet haha!

4. fitdevangel says:

Wow, looks amazing! And very easy way to cook :)))

5. Churi Chan says:

I’m hungry now looking at these pictures xP

6. CARDIAC says:

I’m so hungry now…

7. Linda says:

OMG ALL OF THESE LOOK AMAZING!!! I’m glad you’re starting to like cooking ^_^ It’s pretty stress relieving haha :D

Haha my mom always said “never get married”

That all looks so good! Andy sometimes invents things for better or worse. Nuts in eggs… just… no….

9. clarisse says:

Jenny, do you still know where you got that blue and white plate that looks like it may have tentacles? I have to buy that @.@

10. Sarita says:

congrats on the cooking progress!! All the photos look delicious, especially that pot pie!

11. Moni says:

Everything looks yummy and I love those octopus plates! :)

I am a good cook, but I absolutely HATE cooking. I loathe it, especially when I have to cook for others (I put a lot of pressure on myself). I never thought to look for “one pot recipes” or something similar, though. That’ll definitely cut down the dishes I have to wash, at the very least. :D