New Things Around the House

Aug 04, 2014

Added some prints in the bedroom. A wooden serving tray for the kitchen. And started propagating lavender from my garden in a dairy jar for the bathroom.

aya takano prints

plantlife

I don’t really like keeping soil indoors because pests like gnats can show up. So when I read you could grow a lot of common herbs in just water I was eager to try it with the lavender. I’ve been pleasantly surprised! Especially since I’ve stopped having flowers in the house due to the sinus surgery I had a few weeks ago. I don’t want anything interfering with the healing process and it’s best if my sinuses remain dry right now. So green plants are better decor for me at the moment. I found the dairy glass at an art supply store for $1.50.

Tags:

12 Responses to “New Things Around the House”

1. Dana says:

Love the art!

2. Becca says:

growing in only water.. genius! will have to research what else can be grown :D

I know the #1 failure proof plant is “Devil’s Ivy” since it’ll grow in extremely low light conditions and can easily be started from just a small cutting! I have some of this as well.

3. Elyse says:

Wow! Who knew you could grow herbs in just water! I suppose you need a little starter plant rather than just seeds, huh? But that’s definitely something to think about, rather than having to garden out in this heat!

Also, that cereal pic is making me hungry! Yumm!

Yeah you do need a cutting rather than seeds. My lavender plant outside in soil is where I got my cuttings. The good thing is if you know someone who might already have a plant that can be propagated in water you can just ask for a clipping! At work we clip from each other’s office plants for our own office spaces :)

4. Shiinnaaa says:

These are so great. I can never do this in apartment in Japan since I’m always moving :(

Love the arts!

I understand that. In the past I lived in apartments that didn’t even allow nails into the wall or painting or anything. It’s easier to do just small decorating then instead. And moving… yeah that’s already a hassle without having a bunch of decor to lug around!

5. Bianca says:

Hmm that’s pretty genius I literally hate bugs I can’t! I’m going to try this with some lavender and safe I grew in the garden

I’m guessing sage? :D I think that’s one that works well. Apparently a lot of herbs work! I didn’t know this either. I thought the only plant that would grow in just water was “Devil’s Ivy” but this is transformed my house! I have lavender all over the bathroom and bedroom now, I love it! And NO bugs!

6. Kate says:

these pictures leave a nice, clean feeling (: