A Few Snowstorms Later

Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013 | 28 Comments

December gets really busy huh? I haven’t had a good chance to sit down and update until tonight. So basically there have been ice & snowstorms. I’ve also become a recluse since completing my Christmas shopping. I refuse to go to certain shopping center until after the New Year now!

Last Friday I saw Septime Webre’s The Nutcracker at Warner Theater. I bought tickets for early December because I wanted it to sorta launch that Christmas Cheer feeling for the season. It was excellent. There’s a colonial twist to the entire ballet and George Washington is The Nutcracker haha! I figured it would be the most DC THING I could ever see.

I also made these impromptu mini apple pies with leftovers. I felt bad throwing out an unused extra pie crust from Thanksgiving and had a single apple in the fruit bowl. I figured to hell with it and gave making mini pies a shot! They turned out GREAT! I am boasting because I suck at cooking. I can hardly follow recipes correctly so making something like this “on the fly” impresses me alright! :)

I ended up with enough dough and apple mix to make 4 of these things. There’s no recipe or anything to share. I just threw in spices and butter pretty much. I think I’m definitely going to be doing this again. It’s way easier than making a huge stupid pie.

Jenny posted on Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013

28 Responses to “A Few Snowstorms Later”

1. Pichii says:

that apple pie looks so cute… and delicious! plus dying of jealousy because ok nutcracker + george washington sounds hilariously perfect and very very very dc~

It was!!! I wish they would have allowed pictures but also I’m glad they don’t because that would be super distracting. They even use cherry blossom fairies instead of sugar plum hahaha!

2. Jinny says:

That pie looks delish! Nice job Jenny! I can sort of relate because I too suck at cooking. So when I do make something that looks and tastes good, that’s an accomplishment for me :D

Ahh jenny, your blog is always so calm and relaxing to read whenever I feel like I need a little break from reality or just simply some inspiration. You always blog about what you’re doing “in the moment” that makes it so laid back and very “life style” kind of mood. The way how you take your photos, how you set them up on your blog is just so perfect and fitting. You inspire me so much and make me want to do the same of just snapping pics of “in the moment” rather than having them planned out. (at least it doesn’t feel like you do in the photos you take)

Wow I really wasn’t expecting this, thank you. I’m glad you can sorta obtain that feeling too. That’s how I feel when I post. I’m just randomly taking snaps “in the moment” usually. I tend to post these on Tumblr or to friends at the time but I like to do sorta weekly roundups with ones I really liked.

I used to do nothing but plan out all my blog photos a few years ago and it became so exhausting! This has just been a more fun way to share my life. :)

4. Miya says:

mini pies look delicious!! what do you bake them in???

5. Kate says:

Ahahah, “huge stupid pie”! I think smaller things are more cute anyway.

6. megan says:

It snowed here in OK as well! But probably not as much. I’ve been trying not to spend too much money on myself right now, but there are so many cute things!

I saw your pies on instagram…Did you just bake it according to the crust directions? It looks like something I may have to try in my ramekins sometime~

Nah I baked it according to some random mini-pie recipe that I looked up just to get a temp & time idea from (for using a muffin pan.) I baked at 425F (I think) for 18 minutes :)

7. Sewon says:

Oh the mini apple pie is adorable! I made these makeshift cookies with the leftover pie crust and cranberry sauce. Never let a pie crust go to waste, again! ;)

8. Fernanda says:

It looks so much more like CHRISTMAS where it snows *sighs*
    I only remember this time is coming when I see the lights walking around my city. ^^
    I guess I’d enjoy (at least once) to spend Christmas in a snowy place.

I grew up in a warm climate so didn’t have snowy Christmases until I moved here. It definitely feels like the Hallmark-style of Christmas with snow but it makes getting out to do holiday events much harder. Bittersweet!

9. Thao says:

Lol That’s an unexpected spin on the Nutcracker. How very DC. :D

Yum apple pie! Maybe that’s what I’ll eat with my vanilla ice cream that I need to finish…

10. Ria says:

I don’t blame you, I have to go to the mall this week and I’m dreading it.

11. Amelia says:

In my opinion it isn’t Christmas if you don’t hear “The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy”. I think that’s such an original spin to the Nutcracker, all I can picture is George Washington dancing ballet and it’s cracking me up.

12. Rayne says:

Aw I wish we had snow where I live, I have never seen snow in my whole life :(

Also, the mini pies you made look so cute! I suck at cooking and following recipes too, if I had made them I’d be so proud of myself! haha

13. Anna says:

I don’t really eat pie, but those are so cute and adorable it kind of makes me want to eat one. I’m jealous of all of the snow and ice that you are getting. The temperature here is like 70-60 degrees :(

14. Loma says:

The pie looks so delicious! Wish I could be this lucky when it comes to cooking. I’ve trying lately and all I can do is chicken and I leave the house all foggy and smelling LOL I am currently in LA and sad because I won’t be able to see some snow. :/ So I’m just looking at your pictures and enjoying it ;)

15. Anya says:

Aaah! You saw Washington Ballet’s Nutcracker! You should also see the Kirov Academy of Ballet’s Nutcracker (my school)
    They only do the 2nd act and the first act is excerpts from various ballets! I will be performing in it as well! KAB is also in DC :D