Gardening

Saturday May 16, 2015

plants started from seed indoors

Last year I did quite a big garden project. Painting my own terra cotta pots and attempting to use very bee-friendly flowers while also being realistic about the lack of all day direct-sunlight my home gets.

I planted quite a few varities and they broke down like this:

Nasturtium – A favorite of mine, always grows spectacularly well.
Chives – Hard to germinate easier to just buy as small plant at local grocery store and pot it.
Parsley – Also not easy to germinate as it too needed certain germination conditions but grew well after sprouting.
Morning glory – Vivacious in the new spot I planted it. Also Grandpa Otto variation seemed easier than others.
Sunflower – Wow these Elf ones love containers! But are bloomed out by July.
Portulaca – Usually easy but just won’t grow here.
Lavender – Wow hardest herb everrrrrrr. Ended up buying a plant and potting it.
Baby’s breath – Out of control and not at all as expected but definitely thrived.
Zinnia – Grew well but bloomed out by June.
Cypress vine – Wow this plant won’t grow here for me.
Moonflower – Started off growing strong and fast but took a while to get to climb and blooms were rare.
Four o’ Clock – Grew large with many flowers but flowers would only half open.

2014 photos

garden photo from 2014
garden photo from 2014
garden photo from 2014
garden photo from 2014

2015

This year I planted many of the seeds I collected from last year’s plants. Morning Glory and Elf Sunflower especially. The seeds germinated easily! Money saved! I bought some new nasturtium seeds plus planted some morning glory seeds from my parents’s home. They’re pastel in color. Also got some of the four o’clock seeds from them as well in pink and mixed color.

I bought a lavender plant and potted it plus a small plant of chives, parsley, and mint. Grocery stores tend to sell them for very cheap ($1.20 at times) which is the same price for a pack of seeds without the finicky germination instructions.

I scaled back variety this year and focused on the flowers that looked spectacular last summer.

this years 2015 garden beginnings

This year’s garden includes: morning glory, elf sunflower, four o’clock, mint, parsley, chives, and lavender

this years 2015 garden beginnings
this years 2015 garden beginnings
this years 2015 garden beginnings
this years 2015 garden beginnings

Tags:

15 Responses to “Gardening”

1. Jeannie says:

Not a bad idea! And it would give life to my room i suppose. A never ending supply of basil would be a dream haha

2. Kate says:

Lovely. The older I get the more interested I am in gardening. I have had a very hard time getting anything to grow, though~! But I love seeing photos of other people’s gardening (:

I started gardening very young. I think a lot of it is really picking a good match for the light source you have available.

3. Maria says:

2 Questions:
    Luv the products you featured in your blog, where do you discover these products…Rakuten???
    your inspiration for home interior?

Some of the products I just learn about through seeing them at the store & picking them up. Others in the magazines I get (Lee & Mart.) But sometimes I go trolling on cosme.net and look into the top ranked items on Google.

Home interior inspo… probably Lee magazine and Mart magazine plus their official sites and blogs. Plus Tumblr, MUJI, and a lot of thought about rooms and places I’ve liked in the past.

4. Dana says:

How do you do your self study for Japanese language lessons.. umm do you like try reading simple Japanese book… memorizing Japanese words…????

I took German and Spanish in high school and also college so I was used to a lot of self study.

I started off with flash cards for the kana. I then read a small book on Japanese grammar while beginning to memorize vocabulary. Self tests, practice writing through pen pals, reading japanese magazines, and listening to audio phrase lessons was what I was doing when I first learned. It’s easier when there’s daily use for it like reading japanese blogs or watching japanese TV.

Do you know Jessa who commented here about learning Japanese too? You guys have similar IPs and questions?

• Dana says:

of course..if using the same computer and having the same passion ;p You cant resist to ask more questions on japanese language!
        Seriously, you also know german and spanish, that would make 4 languages in total…thats awesome!!!

Btw, I read that you are in web development.. Are you more into front end or back end development?Whats your fav programming language?

I’m probably slightly more back-end but I do both at my job really, including server administration and user management. I do a little bit of everything. My favorite language is really HTML & CSS hands down. I just prefer memorization over writing conditional statements but next in line would be PHP and, though I never get to use it anymore, Perl was a favorite of mine in school.

5. Lovely and beautiful gardening photos!

6. Thao says:

I love how clean your pictures look, if that makes sense… Is it from a filter on your camera? Or post editing? Or just mad photography skills? <– most likely.

Side note, I would to hear your thoughts on your new camera E-PL5. I was thinking of getting one, but I'm still a bit hesitant. Do you use the kit lens? A lot of reviewers suggest using it with other lens, but that's more $$$$. T__T

Some of these are filters (the tall ones) b/c I use vsco app on my iPhone and a few are e-pl5.

I use(d) both my Pens with kit lens b/c I don’t take my photography very seriously. I miss my e-pl2 sometimes because I had the settings /just right/ but I’m still working with my new e-pl5 which has a few advantages but is also a bit more picky with some things like setting manual white balance.