A Summer Update

Sunday June 07, 2015

white sandals with so ugly they are cute watermelon socks between the leaves of a money tree

It’s humid, and rainy, and there’s less traffic in the mornings with no school buses. Must be summer :)

I bought these white Birkenstocks from Madewell weeks ago, maybe even months, because…
1) They were incredibly soft and flexible
2) I no longer know what’s cool

I was going to wear them while commuting but I’ve been babying them because they’re so clean and perfect. But this week I’ve been wearing them out into the mud so they’re sufficiently broken in now.

white Birkenstock sandals and pink Watermelon socks from Target stores
Black bucket bag purse with gold lining

I had gotten a bit tired of tote bags this past winter and decided I preferred the feel of a bucket bag for now. I got this one in black leather with metallic gold interior which is a perfect pair to my old standby the black and gold Julia Marco canvas tote.

Essie brand nail polish in a nude pink shade with soap shaped like a gemstone

I also started wearing more sheer nail colors. I went months without wearing polish due to being injured; so when I put on some old polish it looked so heavy. I couldn’t stand opaque colors now! So I started picking up more sheer shades. This one from Essie is called Nude Beach and it’s a sheer pink with a shimmer of green.

Also found these soaps shaped like rock quartz at Anthropologie. I picked up a few! They smell so good but I admit I’ve yet to unwrap one and use it.

Frankie magazine from my friend Joey and my current hanging wardrobe for the summer
photos of the living room and bedroom both yellowed from summer sun streaming through the windows
mellow images of the living room on a cooler day
new light fixture has mason jar like pendants with edison bulbs
the light fixture not turned on and the antiqued edison bulb located in one of the fixtures speckled with metallic gold flakes

I’ve been mostly busy updating things around the house after a big IKEA trip last weekend. Today we got the new light fixture up in the bedroom. I ordered a batch of Edison bulbs to go in it. A few years ago I noticed the edison bulbs coming out but didn’t have a use for any until now. I also added two new “money trees” after enjoying the one I got for the office in March. When I was pushing it through IKEA almost every person I passed asked me where I had gotten the plant! They’re almost always sold out when I go but I went first thing in the morning this time.

I don’t usually like potted plants in the house but my other tree has done well enough that I’m willing to risk it in 2 more rooms.

19 Responses to “A Summer Update”

1. Jing says:

Everything about your home is so airy and refreshing! I love your taste in home decor 😊

2. bren says:

love you’re white fan ! is it from muji? its gorgeous! white electronics are so nice !

3. Sarah says:

Hi Jenny !
    You’re one my inspiration, I love your style <3

Could you tell me what's the brand of your bag ? It reminds me of Mansur Gavriel's bags *-*

4. Sofia says:

Your home is so nice, it looks so clean and cozy and I just love all the natural touch everywhere ! I also started growing plants recently so I can’t wait for a future post about plants. :3

Thank you so much :). Oh I need to do one now that rainy season is coming to an end. I’ve had my garden pots all nestled together in a corner outside due to 2 weeks of constant rain and strong storms!

5. Jen says:

I’ve been looking for a bag similar to yours that’s afforable! Can you link where you got it from?

6. Annapearl says:

i bought those shoes today :) i also dont know whats cool, but u have great taste so i dont hesitate to take a page from your book.

been lurking ur accounts for years (homescreen bookmark oh yeah). thanx for posting more often!

Thank you!!!! I feel like these shoes are like walking on clouds! And they haven’t been picking up dirt and scuffs anywhere near as badly as expected. I hope you enjoy yours!

7. Kamille says:

Hi Jenny, I hope you’re feeling better as the weather warms up :) I’m loving the black bucket back. Been a looong time reader hehe

You wouldn’t happen be the Kamille that I knew through Augusto’s blog would you? That was a long, long time ago so chances are possibly slim :o

8. Dana says:

Ha I was just reading that issue of frankie!

Nice! I’ve only had time to read a few of the features. I need to slow down my days, clear up my schedule for some more reading time.

9. I like the new home decor! It’s so fresh and summer!

10. Linda says:

Your home looks so airy and simple; I love your aesthetic :)