Madewell Denim

Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012 | 39 Comments

A few weeks ago I made my first denim purchase at Madewell. I had checked them out before but nothing really caught my eye until I tried on a pair of their Rail Straight in Western Wash. The denim was super soft like a pair you’ve owned for years.

I’ve been looking for a new pair of jeans for a while now. I only ever wear these that I bought nearly 2 years ago. Cheap $15 pair from Forever 21. It’s time for an upgrade. I figure if I’m only gonna own 1 pair of jeans they could at least be a nice pair. I wanted something more relaxed fit too. Not super skinny tight; fitted but comfortable! These from Madewell are exactly that. A nicer denim to wear into work on Casual Fridays.

I used Madewell’s denim hemming service as well. Now, I had thought their denim hemming was free. Others commented that they had thought this as well or had actually used this service for free. When I asked the staff they seemed sorta surprised I had thought that! I did see that their denim hemming is sometimes free during their “Denim After Dark” sale! I might have gotten the idea from that since they are always doing sales. Either way it wasn’t too bad. $20 for “original hem.” Cheaper than the last hemming I had done elsewhere.
They came back looking great too!
It took little over a week. Though a salesperson apologized saying it shouldn’t have taken “so long.”. I appreciated hearing that though I didn’t really mind waiting a few extra days.

Picked up some Happy Socks while there getting my jeans.
Figured they’d look nice paired together with my oxfords!

Jenny posted on Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012
Tags: , ,

39 Responses to “Madewell Denim”

1. Thuy An says:

Madewell denim are such nice quality and I love their fits! Cute socks too * ^ *

2. megan says:

“I figure if I’m only gonna own 1 pair of jeans they could at least be a nice pair.”

Totally agree! Since now all I get to wear to work are scrubs (which I haaate), I’ve decided that when it comes to jeans and some other things I might as well spend the extra money and get something super nice that I’ll enjoy over cheap junk that just gets the job done.

Agreed. I’ve been slowly evolving into this as well and my jeans were one of the last frontiers. Feels good to actually put some choice and effort into them now!

3. Jade Love says:

The socks are so cute, and cute name too!!

4. Mija says:

oh I love those socks!!!

5. Maru says:

Love them! I rarely wear jeans too so having one nice pair is all ya need right? Oh and the socks are hella cute :)

6. Amelilala says:

I love the jeans’ color :) and the socks are so adorable!

7. Jenii says:

I don’t know why but I am enamored by that denim and socks combo :D

8. cin says:

Yes I definitely agree about buying a good pair of jeans that’ll last a long long time! I’d love to see how these look! And love the socks!

9. Michelle says:

I’ve always fathomed the idea of getting a pair of jeans from Madewell. I absolutely love the store, but strayed away from it due to a lack of…money, haha. I love the socks you picked up!

Agreed, I put a lot of thought into the purchase and waited until I found a wash & cut from them that I REALLY liked. It’s a bit of an investment after all.

The packaging is just SO super-cute. I wouldn’t have minded paying the extra 20$ hemming fee just for that, haha ;)
    Wishing you many happy adventures in your new jeans! ♥

They always wrap their purchases like this, I freakin love it! The service is on par with a Japanese store who almost always wrap it in tissue or use tape on the bag etc etc. It’s the extra touches I love! Plus their bags are incredible sturdy and I use them in my closet!

11. Mary says:

I’m a jeans girl, just because it’s hard to find trousers that fit…but those are some nice jeans! I like the colour and the extra detail of the brown taggy thing. Too bad I do not have madewell ):

12. MissFeelo says:

I am so in love with those socks right now. haha I love them together! Finding a good pair of jeans can actually be quite hard, glad you found yours! I need to hunt for a good pair…

It really is a challenge. Knowing they did hemming helped, usually my biggest problem is the length! I need at the most a 28″ inseam which isn’t always offered.

13. ニッキー says:

I have yet to visit Madewell in person, only online. We have store here in San Francisco I should maybe visit. :) I really love J.Crew though.

14. Bianca says:

i wanna see these bastards ON YO BODY im sure they are going to look marvelous…

ive slowly been stepping out of SUPER TIGHT SKINY JEANS..dont tell no body

Yes, yes. I’m still not 100% used to a loose fit. In my head these are like WIDE LEG PANTS but in reality I just bumped up a size for a more relaxed fit straight leg. It’s so strange to not have thick denim hugging every nook & cranny but also… a freakin relief too.

15. winnie says:

I love a good pair of jeans! You know hemming SHOULD be free, I mean in Asia, hemming is part of the service. Still, at least the hemming quality was good. Also love the happy socks! I own a couple of pairs from them and they are such good quality and the designs are all so fun!

16. Sidney says:

I only have 1 pair of jeans, too! My Evisu ones I stumbled across in an outlet mall in Korea lol They are like yours (at least the way you described them). Fitted, almost skinny but not quite, very comfortable. And they were even the perfect length w/o hemming! Even with my weight fluctuating all the time, they look good tighter or looser THANK GOD If they ever wear out I will swear off jeans. Peh.

But ooooh I like the Madwell label~ You make me want to try buying something from them, but I don’t know that we have a store near me so…….

17. Sidney says:

DID YOU EAT MY COMMENT WEBSITE?? I think it did…if not, well. Two comments from me.

Anyway, these remind me of my Evisu jeans! They’re my only pair of jeans I really like/wear/plan to take with me when I go to Korea. They seem super similar to how you described yours! Slim fit, but not really skinny jeans, really comfortable, soft…and also were the perfect length from the get-go! MADE FOR ME. And even w/my weight fluctuating all the time, these still look good tighter or a lil loose! (unless I’m deluding myself)

I love the Madwell label on the jeans, too! You make me want to try something out for them, but I don’t think there is a store near me. GUESS I WON’T BE COPYING YOU WITH THIS BRAND. :p

Blog monsters all up in your comment eatin it xDD

Ah yes! That’s exactly how these feel. I wore them to work Friday and I often sit with my feet up in my chair crossed. Usually my other jeans pull and are stiff but these feel like freakin yoga pants and were all “Oh you want us to stretch and be comfy? OK!” :P

18. rene says:

where can i get madwell? in states? is it like macy?

It’s only a few stores in the US. It’s like JCrew (it’s their sister store.) Like boutiques. They don’t sell their brand through department stores and unfortunately only ship to USA & Japan. :(

19. Kate says:

Oh, I love these! I always wish Madewell were closer to me — closest is about 3 hours drive. I love the look of a straight, but not skinny, jean! It’s kinda hard to find those.

Soft denim is the best…i would buy jeans with holes just because they were so soft already :) and yeah it’s good to have one solid pair of jeans in your ward drobe!! hee hee “Happy Socks” so cute!